High Load average no CPU utilization

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Wed Mar 28 13:22:53 MDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 09:30 -0600, adam fisher wrote:
> I just brought up a new web server on fedora core. The load aver appears to grow to the size of the MaxClients which is 150. If I lower it then the load average lowers.
>
> When I run ps -aux | grep httpd, I have almost every httpd process in uninterruptible sleep. Are these persistent connections that just aren't being closed or is it something else?

Reading ahead, it looks like NFS has already been discovered as the
culprit, so I'll keep my message short. Any time you see a lot of
processes in uniterruptible sleep, that probably means you're
bottlenecking on I/O. You need faster hard drives, a fatter network
pipe, or similar.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill