High Load average no CPU utilization

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Wed Mar 28 11:06:37 MDT 2007

On Wed, March 28, 2007 09:30, adam fisher wrote:
> I just brought up a new web server on fedora core. The load aver appears to grow to
> the size of the MaxClients which is 150. If I lower it then the load average lowers.
>
> When I run ps -aux | grep httpd, I have almost every httpd process in
> uninterruptible sleep. Are these persistent connections that just aren't being
> closed or is it something else?
>
> Never seen this before,
> Adam

/proc/loadavg
              The  load  average  numbers  give  the number of jobs in the run queue
(state R) or waiting for disk I/O (state D) averaged over 1, 5, and 15
minutes. They  are  the same as the load average numbers given by
uptime(1) and other programs.

If top doesn't show high CPU utilization, run iostat -x 1 for a bit and see what
your disk is doing. vmstat is also helpful here.

-Ryan