Asterisk installed at home. Looking for cool ideas

Troy Bowman troy at dublan.net
Wed Mar 28 00:12:58 MDT 2007

On Mar 16, 2007, at 7:39 PM, Chris Carey wrote:

> I've finally got a working Asterisk install at home, and I'm trying to
> think of how to add some pizzazz. Any suggestions?

I know this is late to the game, (I read this list when I get to it),
but I've been having lots of fun with Asterisk.  A couple of things
I've done:

If the call is between 9pm and 8am, it gives one of the two
variations of "Do you know what time it is?" and then proceeds to
give the current time.  It then tries to elude their call by giving
them the first option of leaving a message, or, "If this is an
emergency," they can *really* ring our phone.  My wife really likes
this feature, as she hates it when the phone rings after 9pm :)

My parents live in mexico, and it costs a lot to call across the
border.  So, when I saw them last, I gave them one of those cheap
budgetone barbie phones to plug into their DSL connection.  When they
got home and plugged it in, it connected right up to my Asterisk
server!  Now I can call them whenever I want for free.  In fact, I
made a menu option for when people call my qwest phone line to allow
them to forward to my parents in Mexico if they want.  Great for
family members here who would like to talk to them for free.  And of
course, my parents can make free local calls, too, not to mention
cheap-as-in-dirt long distance calls across voicepulse.

../troy