death to gmail users!

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri Mar 23 16:52:02 MDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 04:24:16PM -0600, Doran L. Barton wrote:
> Not long ago, Eric Wald proclaimed...

> >> Yes. Got a problem with that?
> > Uh... it's kinda weird.
> Well, that's just me.
>

> It is very easy to follow the flow of information exchange this way.
> Compare this to the way most corporate Outlook users today would do the
> same thing. It's just messed up from contextual discernability standpoint.
>

> Well, that's just me.

I agree. I used to work for Microsoft. I have seen emails from
Microsoft management composed of ten or more top posts, some with
multiple paragraphs all top posted. I damn near wore out my page up
and page down keys on those things. This discussion brought back those
literacy nightmares. (Thanks!)

One of many reasons to not use Windows: Microsoft's management don't
even know when they're screwing up because they engage in massive
groupthink, e.g. everyone top posting.

Bottom posting is an essential courtesy to your readers. Remember that
folks on lists are usually volunteers. If they don't read your email
or give up on it because it's incomprehensible, you may not get your
question answered. Make it easy on your readers for your own sake. If
that means doing a bit of extra work, well, how badly do you want your
question answered?