Subversion file and directory name size limit

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Fri Mar 23 16:55:31 MDT 2007

Dave Smith wrote:
> Do file and directory names have a size limit when controlled by
> subversion? I have a directory in my subversion project called
> "foobarfoobar" and if I create a new directory "foobarfoobarfoo"
> (notice the extra three characters), it confuses the two and moves
> files from one to the other and tells me the longer one is already
> under version control when I try to "svn add" it. Any help? Google
> hasn't been forthcoming for me.

Dave, you drooling bafoon! You copied the .svn directories from
"foobarfoobar" when you created the "foobarfoobarfoo" directory! Do this
to fix it:

cd foobarfoobarfoo
find . -name .svn -exec rm -rfv {} \;
cd ..
svn add foobarfoobarfoo
svn commit -m "I'm dumb" foobarfoobarfoo

And now go fix the "foobarfoobar" directory because you told svn to do
strange things. If svn has a file name size limit, this ain't the
problem. In this case, it was user error.

--Dave