[OT] UTOPIA advise

Stephen Shaw sshaw at decriptor.com
Fri Mar 23 10:03:13 MDT 2007

On 3/22/07, Kenneth Burgener <kenneth at mail1.ttak.org> wrote:

> Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> > On 3/21/07, Kenneth Burgener <kenneth at mail1.ttak.org> wrote:
> >> I live in Orem, and currently have Comcast.  Their service used to be
> >> very reliable to my house, but in the last 8+ months I am constantly
> >> having short connection outages throughout the day.  This makes our
> VoIP
> >> phone service lousy, and makes online gaming painful.  I was hoping to
> >> switch to Utopia to solve this problem, but you now have me concerned.
> >
> > You may want to try calling Comcast about that.  I had a similar
> > problem on Spanish Fork's cable network.  When I called them to let
> > them know I was having problems they found that one of my neighbors
> > was creating a lot of noise on the system and they attenuated his
> > line.  Problem solved.
>

> We have called them *multiple* times, and they have come out and checked
> the lines, added a signal booster, etc, still no luck.
>
> Kenneth

Just a side note on MStar (not a fan) they don't tell anyone, but they
throttle your bandwidth if they feel that you are using it too heavily.
I've been on UTOPIA and xmission for almost a year and a half.  There was
one major problem, but after that I haven't had any noticable down time.   I
use it at all hours and run servers.  As for bandwidth caps, I only passed
it once (before they checked).  I think I got up to nearly 200 and that was
with broadcasting big mpeg video canstantly.
Here are my current stats
*4-Week Totals*:
  Download: 12970 MB   Upload: 34469 MB
  Under By 52560.04 MB