[Way off topic now] Re: Trim and bottom/middle post

Eric Wald eswald at brainshell.org
Fri Mar 23 09:49:17 MDT 2007

Levi Pearson wrote:
> In the spirit of the extreme pedantry going on elsewhere in this silly
> thread, I feel compelled to mention that "Dave Smith and I" is only
> correct in the subject of a sentence.  In this case, it's in the
> object part, and so it should read "Dave Smith and me."  After all,
> you wouldn't say "I'll put in some for I," would you?

I've been noticing this quite a bit lately.  I assume it comes from
over-correction of a child's "Me and so-and-so did such-and-such."
Certain parents and/or teachers hammered "So-and-so and I" so hard that
some people get the impression that "me" is never correct in a list.

There's also the problem that many children are never taught the
difference between subject and object anymore.  My high-school Spanish
teacher threw a fit when he found out that absolutely nobody in my class
(including me) had heard of the term "object" in the context of grammar.

- Eric