You see a sign post up ahead it reads, "Welcome to RPM Hell"

Steve Alligood steve at
Thu Mar 22 14:07:39 MDT 2007

I actually did an "cd /; rm -rf *" on a Solaris box a few years ago.
Once it finished, I booted from cd and mounted it.  A lot of my data was
still there.  It seems that the system crashed (and rm stopped) as soon
as was deleted.

Not a recommended form of data removal, but quite interesting.