[OT] UTOPIA advise

Steve Meyers steve-plug at spwiz.com
Wed Mar 21 11:14:45 MDT 2007

plug.org at 2nerds.com wrote:
> After nearly a year's time as an Xmission/UTOPIA customer, my opinion
> is mixed.  When it works, which is most of the time, the speed
> is wonderful.  But my connection is down far too often--usually for a
> few tens of seconds at a time, but sometimes for many minutes at a
> time. When I originally installed UTOPIA I had planned to ditch my
> Qwest voice line in favor of an Asterisk-friendly VoIP provider.  But
> in light of the relatively frequent UTOPIA outages, I wouldn't dare
> rely on UTOPIA for voice service.  YMMV, obviously.

Maybe service is different in different areas of the city.  I've had
UTOPIA with Xmission in Orem for over a year now, and it's been bliss.
There were a 2 or 3 outages during the first 6 months, but since then
I've had no problems at all.  I've been using Vonage since getting on
UTOPIA, and my wife is perfectly happy with it.  Which is a lot more
than I can say for our neighbors who have MStar's VOIP service...