open remote file locally?

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at
Wed Mar 21 09:35:08 MDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 11:37:27PM -0600, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> If it's a lame network connection then it really doesn't matter how you
> get to the file - ssh, remote file systems or some advanced trickery -
> all of them will require packets to get sent over the lame network
> connection as you work.  I suggest you pull it down, edit it and then
> push it back up using scp (or whatever).  At least then you can get the
> packet pushing out of the way so it doesn't slow you down as you work.

I might also recommend Unison, which has worked really well for me with
this sort of thing, particularly when there are many files involved.

I also like using version control systems, because they address the
problem you're having.  They additionally give me the ability to see
what changed when, which can be really helpful.

Andrew McNabb