open remote file locally?

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Wed Mar 21 09:35:08 MDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 11:37:27PM -0600, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:

> If it's a lame network connection then it really doesn't matter how you
> get to the file - ssh, remote file systems or some advanced trickery -
> all of them will require packets to get sent over the lame network
> connection as you work.  I suggest you pull it down, edit it and then
> push it back up using scp (or whatever).  At least then you can get the
> packet pushing out of the way so it doesn't slow you down as you work.

I might also recommend Unison, which has worked really well for me with
this sort of thing, particularly when there are many files involved.

I also like using version control systems, because they address the
problem you're having.  They additionally give me the ability to see
what changed when, which can be really helpful.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/