[OT] UTOPIA advise

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Wed Mar 21 00:30:38 MDT 2007

plug.org at 2nerds.com wrote:
> After nearly a year's time as an Xmission/UTOPIA customer, my opinion
> is mixed.  When it works, which is most of the time, the speed
> is wonderful.  But my connection is down far too often--usually for a
> few tens of seconds at a time, but sometimes for many minutes at a
> time. When I originally installed UTOPIA I had planned to ditch my
> Qwest voice line in favor of an Asterisk-friendly VoIP provider.  But
> in light of the relatively frequent UTOPIA outages, I wouldn't dare
> rely on UTOPIA for voice service.  YMMV, obviously.
>
> Chris

Chris, where do you live?

I live in Orem, and currently have Comcast.  Their service used to be
very reliable to my house, but in the last 8+ months I am constantly
having short connection outages throughout the day.  This makes our VoIP
phone service lousy, and makes online gaming painful.  I was hoping to
switch to Utopia to solve this problem, but you now have me concerned.

Would an XMission DSL solution maybe be more reliable then UTOPIA or
Comcast solution?

Kenneth