open remote file locally?

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Tue Mar 20 23:37:27 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 23:11 -0600, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:
> Yeah, I can mount the directory. The problem is that the connection
> is wireless and the latency is so bad that it brings my local machine
> to it's knees trying to keep the communication going.

If it's a lame network connection then it really doesn't matter how you
get to the file - ssh, remote file systems or some advanced trickery -
all of them will require packets to get sent over the lame network
connection as you work.  I suggest you pull it down, edit it and then
push it back up using scp (or whatever).  At least then you can get the
packet pushing out of the way so it doesn't slow you down as you work.

Gabe

BTW, I don't know if you've used scp, but here is the basic push and
pull usage.

Pull:
scp user at host.tld:/var/www/file .

Edit...