Google Apps for domains

Joel Finlinson joel at finlinson.net
Tue Mar 20 16:01:57 MDT 2007

On 3/19/07, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 19:48 -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:
> > Has anyone on this list tried out Google Apps for domains?  The basic
> > level of service is free (ad-revenues for google) and has a lot of
> > advantages over running my own server.  I'm thinking seriously about
> > using them with my domain.  Mainly because I don't want to give out
> > e-mail accounts to family and then have the burden of maintaining a
> > server for years to come.  Google Apps gives me the freedom to ditch my
> > server entirely if I wanted to.  It also gives nice features like jabber
> > IMing with using my domain, document sharing, etc.
>
> Yes, I've tried it, for all the reasons you mention.  However, I'm yet
> to move *my* personal domain to it.  As I'm sure you know, you can use
> one part of the service without using the other (mail, chat, web, etc.).

<snip>

> I can understand wanting total control over your email.  It's why I
> haven't moved mine over *yet*.  However, SPAM is getting harder and
> harder to fight.  It becomes less and less fun to run your own server as
> a hobby.  Google's SPAM fighting is pretty darn good and hassle free.
> The other nice thing is not having to worry about other mail servers
> marking my mail as SPAM because my server is on a "residential" IP.  If
> ISPs or mail providers start labeling my mail as junk mail, the Google
> sysadmins get to loose sleep over it, not me.
>
> > Any thoughts or recommendations?  Has anyone used google apps?
>
> Everyone I've moved to apps for domains loves it.
>
> 2 cents,
> Gabe
>
> > Michael

    I second Gabe's comment.  I do love it.  Especially because it does such
a great job of catching spam.  Best I've ever used or seen.  Way better than
Yahoo, Hotmail, and various other local ISPs.  Even better than mxLogic,
which we use at work.  As far as I can figure out, the web page hosting
leaves something to be desired though.  It only gives three pages and they
have to be built with Google's webpage builder tool.  It's probably the paid
version that gives ftp access.  I do really like the mail portion though.

   JOEL