linksys wrt54g content filtering

Dallin Jones squitoey at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 14:53:12 MDT 2007

> Finally, I'm open to suggestions on whatever other possibilities could
> achieve this same effect: build my own firewall/router with a box I get
> from DI (what filtering software would I use?), ISPs with server-side
> filtering (although I'm on iProvo and I'm pretty sure Veracity and MStar
> don't do that), some online service I don't know about, etc. It just has
> to be centralized, not-at-each-box filtering, and preferably with various
> levels or categories of that to be filtered (other features, like email
> alerts or logging of naughty activity, are welcome as well).

If you decide to build your own, I recommend using DansGuardian. Works
well, and is very easy to install. As for the Linksys, is stores
everything in the NVRAM. I don't know if the factory firmware allows
you to mess with that, but the OpenWRT seemds to work well. I have
been meaning to look into some kind of filtering for it, but alas, I
have no time. I am pretty sure that Dansguardian will not work with
out modification to the box, it uses a lot of disk space, and the
WRT54G only has 8-16MB depending on the model.

Dallin