[OT] UTOPIA advise

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Mar 19 20:43:22 MDT 2007

Ryan Simpkins wrote:
> Doing the math on 600GB quickly (hopefully I am doing this right)...
>
> 877 .isos
> 242/kBs (1941 kbps) 24/7 for 30 days.
>
> Yeah, pushing 1.9/Mbps average is probably going to be noticed on Utopia. If this is
> accurate I imagine you are pushing 7-10/Mbps during peak.

I don't think my line is capable of that rate.  I think I can currently
push only about 1.5 Mbps peak.  Clearly webalizer is misreporting.

> Using the 276GB in 22 days: 152/kBs, 1218/kbps. I'd love to know more about how you
> are using the system and what you are serving. What is the storage like on your
> server? How many other devices are there in the network, etc?

It's nothing but an inexpensive Athlon 3000+ with a pair of SATA hard
drives in a software RAID 1 configuration, running a few virtual
servers, behind a cheap wireless router configured to forward certain
ports.  Load rarely goes above 0.1.  The biggest bandwidth consumer is a
bunch of static media files; my sister makes digital video and puts it
on the site.

http://shelly.hathawaymix.org/

> Can someone check my math? I'm always either multiplying or dividing too many times
> in any one direction.

I can't see any errors.

Shane