Google Apps for domains

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Mar 19 19:48:59 MDT 2007

Has anyone on this list tried out Google Apps for domains?  The basic
level of service is free (ad-revenues for google) and has a lot of
advantages over running my own server.  I'm thinking seriously about
using them with my domain.  Mainly because I don't want to give out
e-mail accounts to family and then have the burden of maintaining a
server for years to come.  Google Apps gives me the freedom to ditch my
server entirely if I wanted to.  It also gives nice features like jabber
IMing with using my domain, document sharing, etc.

Here's my dilemma.  I don't want to give up the ability to run my own
mail server.  Google's system is nice, but I'd like to use it in
addition to my current server. That way my family members can just use
google and it's web client while I use my own server with imap.  I
thought of several ways to do this.

First I could have Google pick up everything with the MX record
(recommended by Google).  Then I could run fetchmail on my server to
bring down mail for imap users through the pop gateway.

Or I could set my server as the primary MX, and then have postfix bounce
all mail through to google's servers for users I don't want to host on
my server.  I could even set Google's servers as alternates in the MX
record in case of outages, and then also run the fetchmail to bring in
mail I missed.

The second option is complicated, but should work.  The main reason to
have mail hit my server first is to allow for greylisting, which I've
found to be extremely effective at reducing spam by an order of
magnitude.  By fetching my mail through pop from google's servers, I
loose that tool.  I still have spamassassin and dspam, and also google's
own spam filters, which may be enough.

Any thoughts or recommendations?  Has anyone used google apps?

Michael