[OT] UTOPIA advise

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Mon Mar 19 18:28:33 MDT 2007

On Mon, March 19, 2007 17:38, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Ryan Simpkins wrote:
>> 100GB a month is equivilant to roughly 146 full .iso images (if my math is
>> somewhat
>> right). I think the 100GB cap is really there to deter heavy file sharers,
>> ubergeeks
>> running a server farm in the basement, and business that need HUGE bandwidth.
>>
>> Incidently I think you'd have to push 40kB/sec (320kbps) 24 hours a day, 30 days a
>> month, to reach the limit. I could be wrong, but if you used the phone and played
>> world of warcraft 24/7 for 30 days solid you likley wouldn't reach the limit.
>
> Curiously, Webalizer reports that people are retrieving 400-600 GB per
> month from my simple home server.  The traffic is legitimate, but I
> wonder whether Webalizer is counting partial downloads as complete
> downloads.  I know the number is at least in the ballpark, since
> 'ifconfig' reports it has transmitted 276 GB in the past 22 days, but
> that also includes a lot of LAN traffic.
>
> I guess I'd be a horrible customer for UTOPIA. ;-)

Doing the math on 600GB quickly (hopefully I am doing this right)...

877 .isos
242/kBs (1941 kbps) 24/7 for 30 days.

Yeah, pushing 1.9/Mbps average is probably going to be noticed on Utopia. If this is
accurate I imagine you are pushing 7-10/Mbps during peak.

Using the 276GB in 22 days: 152/kBs, 1218/kbps. I'd love to know more about how you
are using the system and what you are serving. What is the storage like on your
server? How many other devices are there in the network, etc?

Can someone check my math? I'm always either multiplying or dividing too many times
in any one direction.

-Ryan