Windows cool now linux hot (temperature) on my laptop

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Mar 19 17:47:47 MDT 2007

Matthew Frederico wrote:
> By jove, I think I've got it!
>
> My temperature problem is the Hard drive! - for some reason it doesn't
> spindown at all.  Anybody know what services may be querying the HD for data
> intermittently in FC6, its a SATA drive - is it safe to use hdparm with
> those to set the spindown time?

This quick test works on my Thinkpad:

hdparm -y /dev/sda

See the -s and -S options to configure automatic spindown.  Also, make
sure the kernel goes into "laptop mode", which queues dirty buffers for
several minutes in an effort to keep the hard drive from spinning up often.

I'm glad you stuck with it long enough to figure something out.

Shane