[OT] UTOPIA advise

Gary Thornock gthornock at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 16:34:15 MDT 2007

--- Walter Holladay <wholladay at gmail.com> wrote:
> UTOPIA will be coming to my neighborhood very soon and I was
> hoping to get some good advise about which provider to go
> with. There are four choices of service providers for UTOPIA:
> 1) AT&T
> 2) Mstar
> 3) Veracity
> 4) Xmission
>
> Mstar and Xmission have a bandwidth cap of 100 GB per month. I
> really have no idea how much bandwidth I use a month, but
> my phone is through Vonage, I have teenagers that like to
> play online games and chat with their friends, and I like to
> upload my digital photos to my web server. Is 100 GB per month
> reasonable, or should I shy away from anyone with a limit?

The 100 GB per month cap is imposed by Utopia, so it would apply
to all four providers.  With that said, 100 GB isn't a terribly
onerous limit.  I suppose I might exceed that in a month when
I'm seeding a new SSS release, but other than that, it's not too
likely.

I've never tried AT&T's service, but I've had service from all
three of the other providers, and my experience was that
XMission is *very* good, Veracity is *very* bad, and MStar
achieves more or less the same astounding level of mediocrity
as Comcast.  If XMission were to become available on iProvo,
I'd switch to their service the very day it came online.