[OT] UTOPIA advise

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Mon Mar 19 15:40:04 MDT 2007

On Mon, March 19, 2007 15:19, Matthew Walker wrote:

> On Mon, March 19, 2007 3:15 pm, Walter Holladay wrote:
>> UTOPIA will be coming to my neighborhood very soon and I was hoping to get
>> some good advise about which provider to go with. There are four choices of
>> service providers for UTOPIA:
>> 1) AT&T
>> 2) Mstar
>> 3) Veracity
>> 4) Xmission
>>
>> Mstar and Xmission have a bandwidth cap of 100 GB per month. I really have
>> no idea how much bandwidth I use a month, but my phone is through Vonage, I
>> have teenagers that like to play online games and chat with their friends,
>> and I like to upload my digital photos to my web server. Is 100 GB per month
>> reasonable, or should I shy away from anyone with a limit?

100GB a month is equivilant to roughly 146 full .iso images (if my math is somewhat
right). I think the 100GB cap is really there to deter heavy file sharers, ubergeeks
running a server farm in the basement, and business that need HUGE bandwidth.

Incidently I think you'd have to push 40kB/sec (320kbps) 24 hours a day, 30 days a
month, to reach the limit. I could be wrong, but if you used the phone and played
world of warcraft 24/7 for 30 days solid you likley wouldn't reach the limit.

-Ryan