Windows cool now linux hot (temperature) on my laptop

Byron Clark byron.clark at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 15:30:27 MDT 2007

On 3/19/07, Matthew Frederico <mfrederico at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know what the difference is between windows and linux is (just
> kidding).
>
> No seriously, I've scoured the net for answers for the past 4 days, looking
> at ACPI options, dsdt files, going over all sorts of crap I really shouldn't
> have to mess with.
> I've shut off all the services I could, even syslogd to see if perhaps it
> was radiating from the HD .. my video card runs at a whopping 90 degrees
> Celsius!
>
> All this heat ever since I installed Linux (FC6) on this laptop (Sams club
> HP Pavilion dv2174cl) my laptop feels like it's on the verge of a nuclear
> meltdown - fans are running all the time; heat eminating where it never used
> to etc...
>
> The strange thing is, in windows - you would have never thought the laptop
> was on except the screen!  IT ran very cool and quiet and was quite
> enjoyable - until I got my first virus (yay).
>
> Before I "Restore" windows - has anybody heard of a way to keep laptops from
> frying your hands as you type - in linux?

You mention that you have tried different ACPI options, but have you
tried booting with ACPI turned off entirely (acpi=off on the kernel
command line)?  At least as recently as 2.6.18 there were some HP
laptops that would overhead when ACPI was enabled.  I don't remember
your model being one of them, but it may help.