Windows cool now linux hot (temperature) on my laptop

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Mar 19 14:58:54 MDT 2007

Matthew Frederico wrote:
> On 3/19/07, Kimball Larsen <kimball at kimballlarsen.com> wrote:
>> Out of curiosity, have you tried any liveCDs from another distro?  I
>> would be interested to see what the latest Ubuntu release does.
>>

> Ok, I am currently running ubuntu_64 - and it STILL generates a lot of heat.

At this point, I would:

- try the open source nv driver instead of nvidia,
- wander through the output of dmesg, looking for failures to initialize
some piece of hardware,
- search the web for anyone else experiencing similar problems on HP
laptops, and
- (gasp) call HP tech support.  HP is working to be friendlier to Linux,
after all.

Shane