Windows cool now linux hot (temperature) on my laptop

Matthew Frederico mfrederico at
Mon Mar 19 14:50:42 MDT 2007

On 3/19/07, Kimball Larsen <kimball at> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, have you tried any liveCDs from another distro?  I
> would be interested to see what the latest Ubuntu release does.

Ok, I am currently running ubuntu_64 - and it STILL generates a lot of heat.

I thought it might be the wireless, so I kept it off (broadcom anyway -
ndiswrapper blah blah)
it is still cooking hot...

I wonder if it has to do with being 64 bit - and now its finally firing the
processor on all cylinders - the windows xp media center version I had was
only 32 bit...   I'm grabbing a 32 bit of FC6 right now to see if that may
alleviate any issues.

I'd hate to outgrade to VISTA ...

-- Matthew Frederico
Office: (801) 938-4071