Windows cool now linux hot (temperature) on my laptop

Matthew Frederico mfrederico at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 09:32:48 MDT 2007

I don't know what the difference is between windows and linux is (just
kidding).

No seriously, I've scoured the net for answers for the past 4 days, looking
at ACPI options, dsdt files, going over all sorts of crap I really shouldn't
have to mess with.
I've shut off all the services I could, even syslogd to see if perhaps it
was radiating from the HD .. my video card runs at a whopping 90 degrees
Celsius!

All this heat ever since I installed Linux (FC6) on this laptop (Sams club
HP Pavilion dv2174cl) my laptop feels like it's on the verge of a nuclear
meltdown - fans are running all the time; heat eminating where it never used
to etc...

The strange thing is, in windows - you would have never thought the laptop
was on except the screen!  IT ran very cool and quiet and was quite
enjoyable - until I got my first virus (yay).

Before I "Restore" windows - has anybody heard of a way to keep laptops from
frying your hands as you type - in linux?

-- Matthew Frederico
http://www.ultrize.com