My Laptop just kicked my desktops butt?

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Mar 19 08:59:52 MDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 05:16 -0600, Steve wrote:
> Doing some research I see that the Dell Laptop was intended as a
> "Desktop Replacement" until now I always thought that was just a
> buzzword.  Turns out for 3D and gaming, my $50 laptop is wiping the
> floor with my $350 desktop.
>
> Just curious to know if anyone else has ran into surprises like this
> when testing older hardware against newer stuff.

Sure it looks like the laptop's video processor is quite a bit faster.
But there's more to the story than that.  I'd be more interested to see
your FPS when running an actual, intensive game or application.  For
example if you were running the X-Plane flight simulator, I doubt the
slower processor could produce the framerates of the desktop, despite
the graphics card prowess.