My Laptop just kicked my desktops butt?

Roberto Mello rmello at fslc.usu.edu
Mon Mar 19 07:23:44 MDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 05:16:07AM -0600, Steve wrote:

> Doing some research I see that the Dell Laptop was intended as a
> "Desktop Replacement" until now I always thought that was just a
> buzzword.  Turns out for 3D and gaming, my $50 laptop is wiping the
> floor with my $350 desktop.

Just look at any HP laptop and you'll see that "desktop replacement" is
not an exaggeration by any means.

I don't think this is very surprising, particularly because processors ending
in "ron" (Celeron, Sempron) usually suck pretty badly. You did omit some
important details that might elucidate the surprise though:

- The Dell has a P4 M with more cache than the Sempron. How much?
- What's the bus speed of both machines?
- How much RAM in each of the graphics cards?

-Roberto

--
We'll be safe enough once we make the jump to hyperspace.