Asterisk installed at home. Looking for cool ideas

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Sat Mar 17 00:44:00 MDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 23:47 -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
> Hope that gets the creative juices flowing!

My suggestion is not nearly as fun, but at least it doesn't require
having a cat.  Although, if you do have a cat, I have some fun, but
unrelated suggestions.  I'm kidding - don't anyone freak-out on me.

Make sure you get 911 setup.  If your provider doesn't offer the
service, check with the sheriff to see where 911 calls go to and ask for
the "regular" phone number.  Usually, the same person will answer both
phone lines.  You will have to provided them with your address in an
emergency.  Make sure your address is posted by the phone so that
everyone will know it.

A simple example of how this might be done:
*****************************
[globals]
	;; This is the number to the Sheriff's Office.
        911 => 1231231234

[emergency]
        ;; 911 - TEST THIS IF YOU MAKE ANY CHANGES!!!
        exten => 911,1,Dial(IAX2/username at provider/${911})

[outbound]
	include => emergency
*****************************

I put a temp number in the 911 var while tweaking the dialplan so I
don't bug the good people answering the phones.  Then after I'm done,
I'll put in the new one and test it.  When calling it, politely inform
them that you are testing your phone and thank them for their time.

Good luck and have fun.

Gabe

P.S. The best thing about IVR is that telemarketers had *never* clicked
past the voice on my home phone.  The day I removed mine, I got 2
telemarketing calls.  1/2 of your neighbors will think IRV is weird and
the other half will ask you how they can get it.

P.P.S.  Also, checkout pickup groups.  You happen to be upstairs, but
someone rings your downstairs office phone... No prob, just press 9 to
pick up the call on the upstairs phone.  Saves you some running around.

--
"911, what's your emergency?"

"meow"