when to upgrade (was: public key not available for RPM)

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Wed Mar 14 17:45:46 MDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 14:26 -0600, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:
> You know… this is something that I have considered a lot the past six
> months… whether to upgrade or not. I asked a friend and he didn't
> think it that big of a deal for now. He said that FC3 isn't that old
> in regards to stable server releases and that since this box is just
> used for email and web, is configured and set up exactly how I want
> it, and it locked down nice and tight, there isn't any reason to
> upgrade for a while.

Let's see, you're running an SMTP server, an HTTP server, and almost
certainly an SSH server... Huh, you know, those are probably the three
most attacked services on a Linux box... Anyone that's been paying
attention to Fedora Legacy knows it never really did what it promised...
Even Fedora Legacy recently announced that... Meaning FC3 isn't getting
security updates...

YES THERE IS REASON TO UPGRADE! If you're want to leave a box untouched
to age like expensive cheese, use Debian or CentOS or pay for an
enterprise release like RHEL or SLES.

Please, find your friend an slap some sense into him.

Fedora is not and should not be treated like a server distro. It's an
enthusiast distro for people that want to stay on the cutting edge of
Linux.

CentOS is probably your best bet. It shouldn't be too hard to move from
FC3 to CentOS 4.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill