when to upgrade (was: public key not available for RPM)

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Mar 14 14:42:43 MDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 14:26 -0600, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:
> > But, really Wade... FC3?!
>
> You know… this is something that I have considered a lot the past six
> months… whether to upgrade or not. I asked a friend and he didn't
> think it that big of a deal for now. He said that FC3 isn't that old
> in regards to stable server releases and that since this box is just
> used for email and web, is configured and set up exactly how I want
> it, and it locked down nice and tight, there isn't any reason to
> upgrade for a while.
>
> What are the group's thoughts?

FC 3 is not supported by RedHat in any way and security updates are not
being produced.  I'm not sure of the state of the fedoralegacy.org site
anymore, so you're running at your own risk.  However CentOS 4 is binary
and rpm compatible with FC3, so if I were you, I'd just add CentOS
sources to your yum and carefully dist-upgrade to CentOS 4.  Custom
software you have installed won't notice any differences between CentOS
4 and FC3, and you'll the added benefit of active security updates for
the next couple of years.

Michael