apache auto start and service

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Mar 14 14:40:12 MDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 14:17 -0600, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:
> After running my yum upgrade I rebooted. The default apache is came
> up however instead of the custom one that I compiled myself. It
> appears that the upgrade changed something.
>
> I stopped the default and started my own so things are good now, but
> I want to get my settings back.
>
> How do I check which httpd the system is set to start on boot?
>
> How do I check what the alias "service httpd start/stop/restart"
> controls? How do I change it?
>
> I am familiar with using chkconfig to determine if something is set
> to start on boot and to set something to start on boot, but when
> using "chkconfig httpd on" how does the system know which version of
> httpd I want?

chkconfig merely manipulates the files and symlinks located
in /etc/init.d and /etc/rc[0-6].d folders (well and
sometimes /etc/xinet.d/stuff).  You'll have to check in /etc/init.d to
see what script corresponds to httpd.  Likely you'll want to make sure
your custom init script is called "httpd-custom" or something and then
configure it separately.  Configure httpd to be off all the time and
httpd-custom to be on at the appropriate runlevel.

Michael