MythTV and Comcast HDTV

Brandon Beattie brandon+plug at beatties.us
Fri Mar 9 14:50:32 MST 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 11:09:08AM -0700, Von Fugal wrote:
> * Barry Roberts [Sat,  3 Mar 2007 at 07:30 -0700]
> > Plus comcast doesn't broadcast a channel ID, so I guess I'll have to
> > manually enter that.  I assume myth uses that to match up with the xmltv
> > channel.
>
> Maybe HD is different and usually does broadcast channel id, but my
> experience with just cable has been that you get the whole
> channel/programs matchup through labs.zap2it.com. You enter your zip,
> choose the channel listing that matches what you have, and then you can
> get an xml that matches channel numbers to channel ids and has all the
> program info for those channel ids.

That's the best way to do it but sometimes people want to get the hidden
channels not found on typical listings.  On-demand, pay per view, and
shows not yet added to listing services or channels that for various
reasons are viewable if you know which channel to tune are expected to
work all the time and it's not always going to mesh well with HDTV
tuners, regardless model or maker.  There are actually quite a few
first, second and third generation hdtv's that crash or struggle with
these groupings of channels.  Cable companies first priority (from what
I've seen) is that their set top boxes work with most or all channels,
second is any customer can get any level of premium channels, next is
protecting data with encryption, and last is that their streams can be
used with any generation of tuner.  Because of this if you do a channel
scan you'll find programs that appear and vanish (video on demand
usually) and this can cause problems for many tuners.  Just make sure
you keep the programs that have problems at one end of your guide so
your family doesn't channel up/down over them between their favorite
stations or you'll get a lot of complaints.

--Brandon