[OT] - A turning machine implemented in Conway's Game of Life

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 14:38:00 MST 2007

> Well, you've been vague enough that I still can't be sure exactly what
> you'll consider a "biological system" for the purpose of this
> discussion, but DNA computing may qualify.

DNA would work but I was really thinking that you might be able to
arrange living organisms in such a way that you could input data (in
some obscure form) and get information out (in an equally obscure
form).  For example, putting together colonies of ants in such a way
that when you drop bread crumbs near them in a certain pattern
(inputting data) they will change their behavior in a way that
performs a computation.

I suppose you could say that all biological systems perform constant
computations regarding how to stay alive, but that doesn't allow you
to execute arbitrary code using that system.

Dan