Suggestions for a Color Laser Printer

Dr. Scott S. Jones scott at fyrenice.com
Fri Mar 9 01:38:05 MST 2007

+++ Michael Torrie [08/03/07 23:35 -0700]:
> On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 21:46 -0700, Steve wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> > Tax Refund time is here, and we are looking to blow it all on a high
> > quality color laser printer.  Something we won't have to worry about
> > for several years.
> > Unfortunately the refund is < $1000
> > I'm hoping someone on the list can point us in the right direction.
> > Thanks in Advance!
>
> HP Color Laserjet 2600n
>
> Pros: cheap ($300 or less)
>       Can work with linux with cups driver (see linuxprinting.org)
>       Comes with full toner
>       Has jetdirect card
> Cons: Doesn't speak PCL or PS
>       Linux driver doesn't have as good of print quality as win32
>       Toner costs as much as the printer
>       Only works with Macs via USB or if mac is on the same subnet,
> unless you connect to a linux cups server that drives it.

We have the 2605dn which we bought at Costco for ca. $400.00, about 9 months
ago. When we first purchased it I called around to check toner cartridge
prices. At that time they cost about $100.00 per cartridge, so indeed to
replace the black + 3 color cartridges would have been $400.00, i.e.,
replacement cost of printer.

This is a quality device from HP. Now, the same cartridges can be REFILLED
at my local Cartridge World for $52.00 per cartridge, black or color.

You won't be disappointed with this, or I'd think any in the 2600xx range.

Scott