Suggestions for a Color Laser Printer

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Mar 8 23:35:29 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 21:46 -0700, Steve wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> Tax Refund time is here, and we are looking to blow it all on a high
> quality color laser printer.  Something we won't have to worry about
> for several years.
> Unfortunately the refund is < $1000
> I'm hoping someone on the list can point us in the right direction.
> Thanks in Advance!

HP Color Laserjet 2600n

Pros: cheap ($300 or less)
      Can work with linux with cups driver (see linuxprinting.org)
      Comes with full toner
      Has jetdirect card
Cons: Doesn't speak PCL or PS
      Linux driver doesn't have as good of print quality as win32
      Toner costs as much as the printer
      Only works with Macs via USB or if mac is on the same subnet,
unless you connect to a linux cups server that drives it.

Not quite a recommendation, but we have several of these printers and
they've served us well.

Michael