Two VLANs, One Subnet

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Mar 8 22:06:27 MST 2007

On Thu,  8 Mar 2007 at 20:35 -0700, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 19:46 -0700, Hans Fugal wrote:
> > Can you tell I'm reworking my LAN?
> >
> > I have a public /29 subnet, meaning I get 6 public IPs. Amazingly
> > enough, I have 6 devices that could use a public IP. Perhaps even more
> > astounding, I on occasion have more devices that get a private IP in the
> > range 172.17.0.0/24.
> >
> > Here is how I want things to work:
> >
> > ISP -- cisco -- openwrt -- LAN
> >
> > cisco, openwrt, and 4 devices in the LAN have public IP addresses in the
> > same /29 subnet. I want openwrt to do NAT (as needed for the private
> > subnet), routing, and firewall.
>
> NAT is your answer.

Absolutely not. NAT is out of the question. NAT always causes more
problems than it solves, even in enterprise. In enterprise, you have
full-time sysadmins to go around chasing NAT issues and keeping a
semblance of normalcy. I know, I used to be one. I will set my network
up and just let it run. I will not be a slave to NAT.
</rant>

> You can do this by either creating 4 virtual interfaces on the openwrt
> box, or using some kind of proxyarp solution.

Proxy ARP is the magic I needed.
http://www.sjdjweis.com/linux/proxyarp/

It's working nearly perfectly. But for some reason the real MAC
addresses are leaking through the openwrt and getting into the cisco's
arp cache after a few (randomly distributed) minutes. Just how this is
happening is a mystery to me. Do you know? The only thing I can think of
is if my vlan is 'leaking'.

Thanks!

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net