Two VLANs, One Subnet

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Mar 8 19:46:18 MST 2007

Can you tell I'm reworking my LAN?

I have a public /29 subnet, meaning I get 6 public IPs. Amazingly
enough, I have 6 devices that could use a public IP. Perhaps even more
astounding, I on occasion have more devices that get a private IP in the
range 172.17.0.0/24.

Here is how I want things to work:

ISP -- cisco -- openwrt -- LAN

cisco, openwrt, and 4 devices in the LAN have public IP addresses in the
same /29 subnet. I want openwrt to do NAT (as needed for the private
subnet), routing, and firewall.

I also want to, if possible, limit the broadcast domains so that cisco
and openwrt are separate. Therein lies the rub. Can I set up VLANs on
openwrt and still route between everybody on the same /29 subnet?

openwrt is a 6-port switch, basically. One port goes to the chip
(router), which is in turn connected to the wireless interface. The WAN
port and the other 4 ports are all on the same switch, and separated (or
not) by the VLAN configuration.

The Cisco is a beautiful thing but I want to do as little as possible
with it.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach