Word of caution Nvidia Cg, on Ubuntu (aka Never a Doh! Moment)

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Thu Mar 8 17:28:22 MST 2007

On Thursday 08 March 2007 17:02, Steve wrote:
> Hey all, just a word of caution.
> If you have the need to install Nvidia's Cg Runtime environment under
> Ubuntu/Kubuntu etc, make sure to grab the RPM and use Alien.  Do not
> use the tarball and move the files over (which to me at least seemed
> like the logical thing to do).
>
> Yep folks I just completely hosed my install with a "sudo mv * /"
> fortunately I have oodles of RAM and most of the OS userland is
> currently cached there, but this will be my last post for some time, I
> now need to re-install (my entire /usr partition is gone).
>
> Try not to laugh too hard, when I come back, hopefully someone will
> have some nice horror stories in reply to make me feel better :)

You can probably recover w/o shutting down:

mount a live cd of your distro,
mount your root w/ -bind somewhere under that,
chroot to the live cd,
and cp -a /usr /relative/mnt/point/of/real_root/usr

then you can probably use your package manager to repair the rest by
reinstalling what's already installed.