Wireshark Deciphering

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Mar 8 16:48:53 MST 2007

Daniel <teletautala at gmail.com> writes:

> Problem:
> The directory on the iSeries consistently takes a fraction of a second
> to come up.  The one native on the Linux box takes from 2 - 12 seconds
> to load.
> I captured 94 packets for the one on the Linux box and 35 packets for
> the one on the iSeries.
>
> Question:
> Why would there be such a discrepancy?  Is there something I can
> change on the Linux box? Apache?

I don't have time now to look at wireshark files, but if the same data
ends up getting transferred, I don't think it's likely that variations
in the number of packets that get transmitted will account for the
speed difference.  Things like tcp window size, etc. can break tcp
streams up in different locations.  You might try running a wget or
something locally on the Linux box to confirm that the delay is not in
the network.

                --Levi