Create my own linux ISO

Michael Brailsford brailsmt at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 8 14:23:55 MST 2007

For testing during development, you don't need to do what you want.  Certainly, for testing before you are done and before you turn it in, test it with a lot of real world stuff.  For that you can get creative, like use current and previous versions of any distro you want, diff them independently of your torernt-doohickey, transport then files with your doohickey and then independently verify that the diff on the receiving end is identical to the diff on the sending end.  But for development, you should probably consider that you want a small package to test with so you can reduce your edit-compile-test cycle.  A diff is a diff is a diff.  It doesn't matter if you are diffing a 700MB linux distro, or a 1MB tarball.  Get the algorithm right, and size becomes a matter of scaling, not a hindrance to your development.  The point afterall is to create differential torrents, not to create linux isos.

You should maximize your test set for ease of development without compromising the validity of the tests.  When you are done with development, go nuts on testing it with all sorts of stuff.  After all, almost every other engineering discipline in the world starts with small models of the real thing for testing, before moving on to the real thing.  It only makes sense to apply the same rules to software engineering.

But hey, do what you want.

-Michael