multiple subnets and DHCP

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Thu Mar 8 11:34:53 MST 2007

On Thursday 08 March 2007 07:55, Hans Fugal wrote:
> I have two subnets on one broadcast domain. I have DHCP set up to offer
> addresses on the two subnets, no problem. It offers static hosts on one
> subnet, and everyone else goes on the other subnet. They get different
> routers and everything. It's great.
>
> But I want to give some of the boxes an IP address on *both* subnets.
> Can I do that with DHCP? I didn't see anything in the dhcpd.conf manpage
> but I might have missed it.

Here's an idea--because I don't think you'll be able to get DHCP to assign two
ip addresses to the same interface on a client.  If you can fix the mapping
between the two subnets (eg, if 192.168.5.3/24 is also 192.168.4.3/24), then
you could configure DHCP to hand out the one address from the one subnet
(easy), and then tweak the network bootscript on the client to add the
corresponding address on the other subnet (possibly tricky, depending on the
distro).