Create my own linux ISO

Michael L Torrie torriem at
Thu Mar 8 10:23:49 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 09:35 -0700, Brian Hawkins wrote:
> Over the next few months I need to put together my own linux distro
> image.  I guess I need to backup first.  For school I'm creating a way
> to perform differential bittorrent downloads.  I want to use linux
> distribution images as my test data.  The idea is that if I have one
> release of an image and I want to download the next, chances are they
> are not entirely different.  It would be really cool if I could then use
> matching blocks from the previous image to complete the new image and
> therefore shortening my time to download.
> With that said I need to build my own distribution image that I can
> update with changes periodically and test against previous images.  I
> also need to change the way the compression is done when putting the
> image together.  The compression makes a big difference when trying to
> find matching blocks in a previous image.
> So my requirements are:
> I can build it on my Fedora Core 6 machine.
> The packages update regularly so I can create new versions of the image
> with changes.
> I can modify the compression used when putting the image together.

You can easily build Fedora-based install DVDs with your own custom rpms
and things.  See

If you keep all your customizations in RPMS, this is a slick way to

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for here.  You speak of creating a
"distro image" and then talk about making an ISO.  Are you talking about
making a image that is cloned to hard drives, or are you talking about
making your own install CD that installs an OS, such as a Fedora-based
custom distro?