Create my own linux ISO

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Mar 8 09:51:48 MST 2007

On Thu,  8 Mar 2007 at 09:35 -0700, Brian Hawkins wrote:
> Over the next few months I need to put together my own linux distro
> image.  I guess I need to backup first.  For school I'm creating a way
> to perform differential bittorrent downloads.  I want to use linux
> distribution images as my test data.  The idea is that if I have one
> release of an image and I want to download the next, chances are they
> are not entirely different.  It would be really cool if I could then use
> matching blocks from the previous image to complete the new image and
> therefore shortening my time to download.
>
> With that said I need to build my own distribution image that I can
> update with changes periodically and test against previous images.  I
> also need to change the way the compression is done when putting the
> image together.  The compression makes a big difference when trying to
> find matching blocks in a previous image.
>
> So my requirements are:
> I can build it on my Fedora Core 6 machine.
> The packages update regularly so I can create new versions of the image
> with changes.
> I can modify the compression used when putting the image together.
>
> I have no idea where to start with accomplishing this, as I have never
> put together a distribution before.  I would appreciate anyone with
> experience in this area.
>
> Thanks
> Brian

It would mean giving up some control over exactly what composes the
image (or fighting doubly hard to get it back), but check out jigdo-file
and using it to generate debian testing/unstable images.

I think you can also use jigdo for other distros including a
roll-your-own, but I don't know anything about doing that.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach