Create my own linux ISO

Brian Hawkins brianhks at activeclickweb.com
Thu Mar 8 09:35:38 MST 2007

Over the next few months I need to put together my own linux distro
image.  I guess I need to backup first.  For school I'm creating a way
to perform differential bittorrent downloads.  I want to use linux
distribution images as my test data.  The idea is that if I have one
release of an image and I want to download the next, chances are they
are not entirely different.  It would be really cool if I could then use
matching blocks from the previous image to complete the new image and
therefore shortening my time to download.

With that said I need to build my own distribution image that I can
update with changes periodically and test against previous images.  I
also need to change the way the compression is done when putting the
image together.  The compression makes a big difference when trying to
find matching blocks in a previous image.

So my requirements are:
I can build it on my Fedora Core 6 machine.
The packages update regularly so I can create new versions of the image
with changes.
I can modify the compression used when putting the image together.

I have no idea where to start with accomplishing this, as I have never
put together a distribution before.  I would appreciate anyone with
experience in this area.

Thanks
Brian