Network backup and cloning

Lars Rasmussen lars.rasmussen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 17:24:49 MST 2007

On 3/5/07, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> Anyway, at my work we've given up on the idea of cloning machines
> entirely.  We have set up a special unattended install[1] for Windows XP
> (just pxe-boot and go) that can deal with almost any configuration.  For
> linux, there are also similar systems of doing automated installs from
> pxe.  The thing about this technique is that it can deal with any size
> of hard drive practically, and it's very fast, almost as fast as
> cloning.
>
> I've manually cloned running linux machines before with simple rsync.
> Just set up fstab and grub on the new machine and you're away.
>
> Michael
>
> [1] http://unattended.sf.net

I'm a big fan of unattended installs, and use the integrator from
ryanvm.net to slipstream service packs & patches on XP at my work.  I
use driverpacks.net to slipstream the drivers.  I use RunOnceEx to
chain switchless installers.  Then I use the integrator once more to
roll the ISO.  Works with DVD & CD size images.

The problem I have seen is OEM drivers, specifically video drivers on
laptops.  BSODs abound.  I'm going to be removing video drivers from
the next version of our unattended install as a result.
--
Lars