libgpod + python + windows

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 23:45:42 MST 2007

On 3/4/07, Stuart Jansen <sjansen at buscaluz.org> wrote:
> Sounds like you might be biting off more than you can chew. At least
> more than you can chew quickly. I hope this is a hobby project you can
> afford to spread over a few months.

It is.  Basically I hate itunes and want something else that I can use
to load songs onto my ipod.  I couldn't find anything already written,
but someone on ##mac pointed me to ligpod.

> If no one else has done the work yet, you're going to have to get your
> hands dirty with C and/or C++. You can try porting to straight MFC, or
> you can try cheating by using an environment like Cygwin. The first is
> probably more likely to succeed, while the second is probably easier.

What I'd really like is a program that I can bundle up and distribute
to like-minded ipod owners in a small package.  So I don't think
Cygwin is going to be my best option.

> In other words, if someone hasn't already done the work for you, you're
> going to need to develop a basic understanding of Unix C/C++ development
> and hardware I/O, basic Windows C/C++ development and hardware I/O and
> the basics of Python internals.

Sounds like fun.  I actually know a non-trivial amount of C and C++ on
Unix already, but I almost never have an occasion to use it.  The
hardware I/O I've never done before though.

Dan