libgpod + python + windows

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sun Mar 4 19:56:27 MST 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 17:08 -0700, Daniel C. wrote:
> libgpod is a C library that provides wrappers around the ipod interface:
>
> http://www.gtkpod.org/libgpod.html
>
> I want to use this in a Python program on a Windows machine.
> Apparently swig is the way to do this.  However, when I look at the
> libgpod docs, it says I'm supposed to compile and install the
> libraries on a Unix machine.
>
> I looked at the swig docs and when building for Windows, you're
> supposed to make the library into a DLL that you can then load into
> your language of choice.  Will this work with a library that's
> expecting to be installed on a Unix box?

First off, libgpod already ships with python wrappings.  On FC6, they
are packaged into the python-gpod rpm.

You'll have to port the libraries to win32 (presumably with mingw32),
which will be a major effort, as the library depends on the linux and
unix syscalls for USB access.  Once the library is ported, the python
bindings will build very easily.

As Stuart has said, this is a major thing.

Michael