Help me understand this a bit...

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Mar 2 12:50:15 MST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 12:34 -0700, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 12:16 -0700, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> > Understood.  My other point, however, is that for a production MySQL server,
> > it can be advantageous to remove possible points of failure or slowdown--thus
> > I turn off name resolution on MySQL and remove the possibility.
>
> I have to agree here. For most services, (Web servers, DB servers, etc.)
> the disadvantages of performing constant DNS lookups often outweigh the
> advantages.
>
> Off the top of my head, SMTP is the only common service where DNS is
> absolutely critical.
>
> If you insist on keeping the DNS lookups, you should probably run a
> caching-only nameserver on the same box to improve performance and
> reliability.

That's something I often forget because in all of our locations we do
run DNS servers. Definitely a must for running a mail server of any
appreciable size. I would agree that doing lookups in other cases can be
a waste, such as for log entries.

> (I'm sure even Corey will admit that using a local caching-only
> nameserver is alot better than constantly going across the network.
> Although the DNS lookups probably don't consume alot of bandwidth, they
> can introduce alot of delay. Something most people don't think alot
> about.)

Parse error at line 18 near "alot better than". Compile aborted. Please
try again with -w.

Corey