Help me understand this a bit...

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Fri Mar 2 12:34:26 MST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 12:16 -0700, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> Understood.  My other point, however, is that for a production MySQL server,
> it can be advantageous to remove possible points of failure or slowdown--thus
> I turn off name resolution on MySQL and remove the possibility.

I have to agree here. For most services, (Web servers, DB servers, etc.)
the disadvantages of performing constant DNS lookups often outweigh the
advantages.

Off the top of my head, SMTP is the only common service where DNS is
absolutely critical.

If you insist on keeping the DNS lookups, you should probably run a
caching-only nameserver on the same box to improve performance and
reliability.

(I'm sure even Corey will admit that using a local caching-only
nameserver is alot better than constantly going across the network.
Although the DNS lookups probably don't consume alot of bandwidth, they
can introduce alot of delay. Something most people don't think alot
about.)

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill