Help me understand this a bit...

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Fri Mar 2 11:52:17 MST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 11:42 -0700, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> On Friday 02 March 2007 11:15, Corey Edwards wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 10:59 -0700, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> > > Sounds like DNS.
> >
> > That could be. 20 seconds for a DNS lookup is ridiculously too long. If
> > it is a DNS problem, you really should get that sorted out. I recommend
> > putting a sniffer on your box while you run your network tests. Then you
> > can see what exactly is going on.
>
> It's slow because it's not working--it's timing out.

What's timing out? The DNS query? What type of query? Is it querying an
authoritative server, or is it querying a forwarding server? Does the
query reach the server? What does the server do after receiving the
query? Etc.

I'm sure Corey understood that a query timeout could cause the slow
down, he was pointing out that in order to find the cause of the timeout
it'll probably be fastest to use a sniffer to capture the query.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill