Help me understand this a bit...

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Mar 2 11:49:43 MST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 11:42 -0700, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> On Friday 02 March 2007 11:15, Corey Edwards wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 10:59 -0700, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> > > Sounds like DNS.
> >
> > That could be. 20 seconds for a DNS lookup is ridiculously too long. If
> > it is a DNS problem, you really should get that sorted out. I recommend
> > putting a sniffer on your box while you run your network tests. Then you
> > can see what exactly is going on.
>
> It's slow because it's not working--it's timing out.

Yes, and that's improper behavior. It could be the AAAA queries that
Stuart mentioned. It could be that their DNS server is down. It could be
doing reverse lookups for an unconfigured 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. I
could see any one of those being a problem. My point is that turning off
DNS resolution by using only IP address only fixes the symptoms and not
the cause.

Network problems are often solved by prodigious use of packet sniffers
and I recommend their use to everyone. BTW, did you know that Chuck
Norris can sniff packets just by grabbing the cat5 with his hand? I'm
sure he could fix up that DNS server with a good round-house kick.

Corey